September 18, 2004

Tasik Chini - part 1

I'll try to write about Tasik Chini (or Chini Lake). The legend and myth surrounding Tasik Chini. Before that, let us know a little bit about Tasik Chini.

Tasik Chini is located at negeri Pahang Darul Makmur, one of 13 states in Malaysia. Although from my house to Tasik Chini only take about 1 hour (by car) I never go there (maybe someday I will go, who want to join me??). It is said that Tasik Chini is one of 2 natural lakes exists in Peninsular Malaysia. The other lake is known as Tasik Bera also situated at Pahang (now you know why I'm so proud with my home states, don't you?).

A lot of legend and myth surround Tasik Chini. From what I heard and read, once upon a time a dragon known as Seri Gumum live there (other sources said two dragons, the other is called Seri Pahang); buaya putih (or white crocodile) is also live there; a mystical kingdom where some locals said live in the underwater (the palace will surface on the water during midnight); the late Sultan Pahang which people said still living at the lake; human that can change into tiger and etc. Sound found isn't it?

Some research also been done about Tasik Chini. Some research about ecological, some research about the legend and myth and etc.

For the locals, Tasik Chini become their source of water and food. A lot of fish live in the Lake and a lot of plants too. Surrounding the lake is a forest where become source of income for people that live at the lake.

Locals at Tasik Chini divided the lake into 7 sub-lake and all the name started with Laut (or sea in English). And the most peculiar thing is one of the sub-lake is known as Laut Gumum (Gumum Sea) that based on the name of the dragon that once upon a time resided in Tasik Chini.

During my childhood, I heard from my friends and family that a professional diving team once went diving into the lake. They never encounter the bottom of the lake. And local claims they will never find it until they 'get permission' from 'elders' that live at the lake. I also heard that some tourists and locals, encounter with Buaya Putih that still roam the lake. But they never caught him (or her??) or the pictures of the crocodile.

In the next part, I will write locals legend about the dragon(s) that live in the Lake. The legend was published by DBP under a novel entitled "Juara yang Tewas" but my version will slightly differ than the novel. Until then, bye-bye.

Notes :
For more information about Tasik Chini, you can go to
i. Tasik Chini - Rebirth of Sacred Lotus
ii. Malaysia - Tasik Chini
iii. Tasik Chini

Acknowledgement
i. My grandfather that once upon a time always tell me about Tasik Chini legend and myth. He also told me about Makam Tok Panjang (let's wait for the next part ok?).
ii. My father, mother and uncle because told me about the legend surrounding Tioman Island.
iii. My betrothed because providing support for me to write about this legend. Thanks honey. Love you so much. :)
iv. And to all of you who read my writing. Hopefully after this, someone will send me another legend to be posted here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home